"Easy-to-read" information is available in German.

Jump to content | Jump to help navigation | Jump to main navigation | Jump to sub navigation | Jump to services | Jump to search | Jump to hotline | Jump to footer

  • Switching to easy reading
  • Change font size
  • Contrast view normal
  • Contrast view black-yellow
  • Contrast view blue-white

Regular Workers in Tourism, Agriculture and Forestry

As a third-country citizen, you may apply for a Red-White-Red Card as a Regular Worker in the fields of Tourism, Agriculture or Forestry, if

  • you have been employed for at least 7 months in the last two years as a registered Regular Seasonal Worker in the same industry,
  • you can proof German language skills at A1 level,
  • you have received a binding job offer for permanent employment by your respective employer, and
  • the general requirements for receiving a residence permit are fulfilled. There is no specific labour market test.

Where to file the application?

You can either file the application for the Red-White-Red Card personally at the Austrian representation (embassy or consulate) of your country of residence, or, your potential employer may file it at the competent residence authority in Austria (Provincial Governor, authorised Regional Administrative Authority or authorised Local Administrative Authority). An employer’s declaration (Arbeitgebererklärung) with specific details concerning your future place of employment must be submitted along with the application.

After legal entry and during legal stay you may also file your application directly with the competent residence authority in Austria (Provincial Governor, authorised Regional Administrative Authority or authorised Local Administrative Authority).

Please note:
If you want to make use of legal representation in your legal procedure, please make sure that your Austrian representative is licensed to do so. Otherwise the Austrian authorities cannot accept your representative.

Which documents to be filed?

The following documents, in particular, should be submitted for the issuance of a residence title:

  • Valid travel document (e.g. passport)
  • Photo (dimensions: 45x35mm) wich is not older than six month
  • Evidence of health insurance covering all risks (compulsory health insurance or equivalent insurance policy)
  • Proof of Language Skills
    • German language diploma or language course certificate of at least level A1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The certificate should not be older than five years. German language diplomas and certificates may, in particular, be obtained from the following institutions: ÖSD, Goethe-Institut, Telc GmbH, Österreichischer Integrationsfonds, Please note that the graduation must date back no longer than five years.
  • Proof of a Binding Job Offer for Permanent Employment
    • proof your employer must offer you a permanent employment contract in order for you to qualify as Regular Worker in the respective field
  • Employer’s Declaration pursuant to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals (AuslBG)

The authority may also require you to submit other documents on a case by case basis. Many authorities, for example, require the submission of an extract fro mpolice records (or a certificate of good standing) in case of first time applications. If you submit all the required documents with the application, it will help speed up the application procedure.

Please note:
You have to submit originals and copies of the above-mentioned documents. If the documents are not available in German or English, translations into German or English must be provided. For review purposes, the authority may eventually require legalized versions of the documents.

When will a Red-White-Red Card be issued?

The Austrian representation or residence authority will send your application and supporting documents to the "Arbeitsmarktservice (AMS).

If all requirements are met, the AMS will send confirmation to the residence authority which will then issue the Red-White-Red Card, provided that the general requirements under Austrian settlement and residence law are met (e.g. health insurance coverage). If your application is approved, the Austrian representative authorities will notify you.

If you are subject to visa requirements, you have to apply for a category D visa for the purpose of entering Austria to collect your residence title.

As a holder of the Red-White-Red Card you are entitled to fixed-term settlement and employment by the employer specified in the application. The Red-White-Red Card is generally issued for a period of 24 months. You can also work self-employed, if this employment is subsidiary and all other legal requirements are fulfilled.

When will a Red-White-Red Card plus be issued?

You may apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus with the competent residence authority in Austria (Provincial Governor, authorised Regional Administrativ Authority or Local Administrativ Authority), if you were employed in accordance with the eligibility criteria for a minimum of 21 months during the preceding 24 months, which is assessed by the AMS.

If you are a holder of the Red-White-Red Card plus you are entitled to fixed-term settlement and unlimited labour market access.

You can find more information on the Red-White-Red Card plus here.

Further information and useful links


  • Application: € 120
  • Granting: € 20
  • Costs of personalisation (fingerprints, scan of photography and signature): € 20


Laws and provisions


Help navigation: