"Easy-to-read" information is available in German.

Jump to content | Jump to help navigation | Jump to main navigation | Jump to sub navigation | Jump to services | Jump to search | Jump to hotline | Jump to footer

  • Switching to easy reading
  • Change font size
  • Contrast view normal
  • Contrast view black-yellow
  • Contrast view blue-white

Finding school

Day care for young children

For the care of young children (aged six months to six years), there are dayparents (Tagesmütter) and nurseries (Kinderkrippen). In most of the municipalities there are kindergartens (three to six years).
Please note:
You can obtain information on local dayparents, nurseries and kindergartens from the relevant local council or the municipal district office (in towns).


In most of the municipalities there are primary schools (Volksschule or Grundschule). In rural areas there is usually a junior secondary school (Hauptschule) or cooperative intermediary school (Kooperative Mittelschule) (secondary level 1) in larger municipalities. If you live in a rural area and opt for a higher general secondary school, for example a grammar school (Gymnasium) (secondary level 1 and 2), or a vocational school, for example a commercial school (Handelschule) (secondary level 2), you can sometimes expect fairly long travel times. In cities there is an extensive network of schools, in provincial capitals and in Vienna there are academies, higher technical colleges and universities. Many schools have a website where you can find basic information on the aims of the school, its educational philosophy, curricula, enrolment procedures, etc.
Please note:
You can also obtain information on schools in your area from local councils, municipal district offices, provincial education boards, school advisory centres, educational psychology establishments and from online school guides.

Questions regarding school

Questions regarding available school places, recognition of educational qualifications, and grading are best discussed with the educational establishment of your choice (preferably the principal).

Help navigation: